[c-nsp] 6509 Sup720-3B with 6816-GBIC and DFC

Sam Munzani smunzani at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 17:39:51 EDT 2004

Ian Cox wrote:

> At 11:31 AM 9/7/2004 -0500, Sam Munzani wrote:
>
>> comments inline,

>>> The WS-F6700-xxx DFCs only function on the WS-X67xx series line
>>> cards. It has a totally different connector to the one that is
>>> required for the WS-X6516s, and WS-X6816 module, they require the
>>> WS-F6K-xxx DFCs. The DFC3b, DFC3bXL DFCs for WS-X615s and WS-X6816
>>> have not been released yet. Contact your account team to get the FCS
>>> date for these DFCs.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>

>> Ian,
>>
>> This is what we have plans to purchase and our Account Team blessed it.
>> WS-SUP720=
>> GLC-SX-MM
>> WS-X6516A-GBIC=
>> WS-F6K-DFC3A=
>>
>> We wanted to use Distributed Forwarding on all our Gig ports and were
>> told to purchase DFC3A daughter card for it.
>> 1. Are these compatible?
>

> Yes, because it is a "WS-F6K" and your installing it on a WX-X6516A,
> the WS-X67xx cards take WS-F6700-xxx DFCs.
>
>> 2. Do thoese SFP gig ports on Sup720 need DFC or is it built in since
>> the ports are physically on Sup module?
>

> The Supervisor GE ports switching is controlled by the PFCx that is
> part of the Supervisor.
>
>> 3. Will EoMPLS work with this hardware?
>

> No. EoMPLS requires DFC3b or DFC3bXL along with a Supervisor with
> PFC3b or PFC3bXL. You could have EoMPLS supported on the above
> configuration if you do not install the WS-F6K-DFC3A= on the
> WS-X6516A-GBIC= module and the Supervisor is a PFC3b or PFC3bXL based
> Supervisor. If you wish to have EoMPLS and DFCs for all Gig ports I
> would recommend changing the Gigabit card listed above to a WS-X6724
> (It uses SFPs instead of GBICs) with a WS-F6700-DFC3b or 3bXL DFC.
>
> Ian

We wanted to go with PFC3B route but could not because at the time of
e-rate submission, it was not available. I guess we are stuck with PFC3A
and without EoMPLS till next upgrade budget. The current network does
not require EoMPLS so didn't justify PFC3bXL at the time of e-rate
submission. However we see eventually using EoMPLS down the road(Not
near term though)

I appreciate the clear cut explaination(that I should have got from our
Acount Manager or SE)

Thanks,
Sam