[c-nsp] 6509 Sup720-3B with 6816-GBIC and DFC

Sam Munzani smunzani at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 12:35:39 EDT 2004

comments inline,

>> Which brings up another question for me: Can you use any of the DFC3s
>> (WS-F6700-DFC3B, WS-F6700-DFC3A, WS-F6700-DFC3BXL) on any line card that
>> supports DFC3s?
>

> The WS-F6700-xxx DFCs only function on the WS-X67xx series line cards.
> It has a totally different connector to the one that is required for
> the WS-X6516s, and WS-X6816 module, they require the WS-F6K-xxx DFCs.
> The DFC3b, DFC3bXL DFCs for WS-X615s and WS-X6816 have not been
> released yet. Contact your account team to get the FCS date for these
> DFCs.
>
> Ian

Ian,

This is what we have plans to purchase and our Account Team blessed it.
WS-SUP720=
GLC-SX-MM
WS-X6516A-GBIC=
WS-F6K-DFC3A=

We wanted to use Distributed Forwarding on all our Gig ports and were
told to purchase DFC3A daughter card for it.
1. Are these compatible?
2. Do thoese SFP gig ports on Sup720 need DFC or is it built in since
the ports are physically on Sup module?
3. Will EoMPLS work with this hardware? We don't need it now but see a
value for it in near term.
The idea of WUP720-3B was dropped since there is no DFC3B available
today(Was required before e-rate grant request)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sam