[c-nsp] GSR line card memory and BGP?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Sep 10 00:50:23 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Steve Francis wrote:

> Two questions about some GSR's I've inherited:
> - is 256MB of RP DRAM sufficient to take 2 full BGP feeds?  I expect so
> - it is on other platforms, but you never know.

Yes it should be ok, but you cannot run soft-reconfiguration inbound and
be comfortable.

> - does the amount of DRAM on line cards matter?  One router has one line
> card with only 128M RAM. All other line cards in both routers have
> 256MB. Is that a concern with taking two feeds?

128 should be enough for route-memory unless you plan to use multi-path.

If you have GRP-B you should purchase a 512 meg kit and then move the
memory from the GRP to the linecard with 128 meg ram currently and you
will have solved both problems.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se