[c-nsp] Netflow reported utilization vs actual

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Fri Sep 10 13:28:01 EDT 2004

At 11:42 AM 9/10/2004 -0500, Mark Borchers wrote:
> [...]

The gap between netflow and SNMP can get very wide for small packets. Lets
take 40 byte IP packets through ethernet. The interface will report 64
bytes, netflow will report 40 bytes, there is a 24 bytes that netflow is
not reporting. Send 1,000,000 packets you get a large difference.
64,000,000 vs 40,000,000 bytes. On large packets the encapsulation is
smaller percentage of  overall packet size so SNMP and netflow counters are
closer. With ethernet sending 40 byte IP, has ~37% different between SNMP
and Netflow reports with 1500 byte ethernet there is ~1.2% difference
between what is reported.

Ian