[c-nsp] OSPF NSSA Question

Jack.W.Parks at alltel.com Jack.W.Parks at alltel.com
Mon Sep 13 09:55:24 EDT 2004

The only thing I can think of is that if/when the distribution routers
need to send intra-area traffic between one another they will use one of
your "access" routers.  If these are small routers this might cause an
overload depending on the amount of traffic.

Additionally, you might incur routing loops.  Say, D1 needs to forward a
packet to D2 due to best-path metrics, but because of the OSPF topology
you have established the traffic will be forwarded via an access router,
A1 (intra-area preference), to D2.  A1 believes the best path to that
destination is D1.  Thus a routing loop is formed.

All routers in OSPF have a topological view of the network. Intra-area
routes are preferred over inter-area routes.  Instead of trying to
remember the special circumstances surrounding this design, I would
allow the distribution routers to form and adjacency across the Ethernet
segment.  Set priorities on D1 and D2 to force DR and BDR election to
the distribution routers.  It is a good rule of thumb if your
distribution routers are ABRs, then they should have an OSPF adjacency
in the backbone area and in the NSSA.

I don't know the exact circumstances or requirements for your design,
but you asked, "Can anybody think of why this ... might break later on?"

Jack