[c-nsp] GRE Tunnels and vrfs

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 14 03:26:16 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:00:58PM -0400, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> If it's GRE then use GRE keepalives so both
> ends know when to go down if there is
> a failure in the path.

This is not our problem here.

> Second, there have been some bugs where the
> TTL didn't get decremented correctly with GRE.
>
> CSCdv04959
> Externally found minor defect: More (M)
> TTL is not decreased while switching packets coming from GRE tunnel
>
> for one.

This bug is already on my watch list (and has popped up in this list a few
months ago).  It's fixed on higher end platforms in 12.3(5.10) and up, but
we still see it in 12.3(6) on the 3640...  haven't tested 12.3(10) on
the 3640 yet.

OTOH, it's good to see it fixed in 12.2(18)S6...

(I find it amazing that this is considered a "minor defect", though - it's
grossly violating the router requirements RFC)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de