[c-nsp] accounting/cache/cache flow/cef

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Sep 14 10:36:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 07:44:37PM +0530, Amol Sapkal wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been following this cef thing for long, and after looking out
> at the following command outputs, I am sort of lost:
>
> sh ip accounting

Old way of doing packet accounting.  Not recommended today.

> sh ip cef

Just shows the leaf of the mtrie that corresponds to some route
in the routing table.

> sh ip cache

That shows the output of the old fastswitching cache.
If you have CEF on your 'sh ip cache' should really be
empty.

> sh ip cache flow

Shows the netflow cache which is exported to some form
of netflow collector if you  have it configured to export.
This is the recommended way to do packet accounting.

> Assuming that I have enabled:
> 1.cef globally
> 2.ip route cache flow, on outgoing interfaces to my peer

ip route-cache flow is only inbound flow on an interface
unless you have some sort of egress netflow support.

> 3.ip accounting output-packets, on outgoing interfaces to my peer

ip accounting is the old way of doing packet accounting.
We don't recommend using it.  The way to monitor traffic
flows accurately is via netflow.

You can put the netflow on all interfaces and then sort
by egress interface to get cumulative egress packet counters.

> Can anyone explain me how do I relate the outputs of above command?
>
> Also (being a bit lazy) what is this mroute-cache?

It's for multicast fastswitching.  If you are no doing multicast
don't worry about it.  If you are, turn it on.