[c-nsp] accounting/cache/cache flow/cef

Amol Sapkal amolsapkal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:38:59 EDT 2004

> > sh ip cache
>
> That shows the output of the old fastswitching cache.
> If you have CEF on your 'sh ip cache' should really be
> empty.

I have cef enabled globally and this and still, sh ip cache is not empty.

The interface Fa4/0/0.1 appears in the cache output.
Here are the configs:

gtl-core-mds#sh runn int Fa4/0/0.1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 227 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet4/0/0.1
 description "VLAN for SIL"
 encapsulation isl 201
 ip address 10.7.1.5 255.255.255.248
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip nat inside
 no ip mroute-cache
 ip policy route-map Uplink_SIL
end

On Fa4/0/0:

interface FastEthernet4/0/0
 no ip address
 ip access-group UDP in
 ip access-group UDP out
 ip route-cache flow
 no ip route-cache distributed
 full-duplex
 no cdp enable
end

How do I relate the above?

> > sh ip cache flow
>
> Shows the netflow cache which is exported to some form
> of netflow collector if you  have it configured to export.
> This is the recommended way to do packet accounting.
>

> > Assuming that I have enabled:
> > 1.cef globally
> > 2.ip route cache flow, on outgoing interfaces to my peer
>
> ip route-cache flow is only inbound flow on an interface
> unless you have some sort of egress netflow support.
>
> > 3.ip accounting output-packets, on outgoing interfaces to my peer
>
> ip accounting is the old way of doing packet accounting.
> We don't recommend using it.  The way to monitor traffic
> flows accurately is via netflow.
>
> You can put the netflow on all interfaces and then sort
> by egress interface to get cumulative egress packet counters.
>

> > Can anyone explain me how do I relate the outputs of above command?
> >
> > Also (being a bit lazy) what is this mroute-cache?
>
> It's for multicast fastswitching.  If you are no doing multicast
> don't worry about it.  If you are, turn it on.
>

> > --
> > Warm Regds,
> >
> > Amol Sapkal

Warm Regds,