[c-nsp] Mixed PPPoA and RBE on 6400, with pvc ranges

Robert Tarrall tarrall at xxxx.neighborhoodlink.com
Tue Sep 14 23:04:20 EDT 2004

John Osmon wrote:
-> [...moving from one DSL platform to another...]
-> > On the 6400, I'd like to use pvc ranges ("range foo pvc 1/32 1/1032")
-> > to avoid manually listing each PVC under the multipoint interface.
-> > However, mixing in some bridged customers appears to break that trick.
-> > I don't think we can mix RBE and PPPoA in the same range - correct?
->
-> You just have to break up the range -- ugly, but it works.  It may not
-> be the *best* example, but here's one with 2 holes in the 'range:'
->    !
->    interface ATM1/0.3 multipoint
->     description DSL Qwest
->     range qwestdsl3 pvc 1/510 1/605
->      encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
->     !
->    !

That definitely works at first, but my concern there is that in 6 months
we lose the PPPoA guy on PVC 1/520, and a new customer wanting RBE shows
up and gets assigned that PVC.

If I understand correctly, that means I do:
#(config) interface ATM1/0.3 multipoint
#(config-subif) no range qwestdsl3 pvc 1/510 1/605
#(config-subif) range qwestdsl3 pvc 1/510 1/519

i.e. I drop a whole range of PVCs temporarily in order to pull that
one out.  That's going to drop a bunch of customer circuits.  Which
wouldn't be a *major* deal - could do it late at night - except that we
inevitably have a bunch of customers with routers that don't reconnect
and rather than just power cycling, they wait for a day and then call us
in a snit.

-> > Only alternative I can think of is to get Qwest to manually assign
-> > bridged customers to PVCs outside the range we use for PPPoA - maybe
->
-> If you can get Qwest to do things like this, I wanna know who I should
-> be talking with...  They haven't ever been too interested in doing
-> things that don't fit into their cookie cutter mold.

Yeah, I'm worried that this will turn out to be impossible when the time
comes.  If the guy I talked to can actually do this I'll see if he minds
me sending you his contact info.  Really, they ought to have a process
in place to handle stuff like this...

                       -Robert Tarrall.-
                       Unix System/Network Admin
                       E.Central/Neighborhood Link