[c-nsp] cef load-sharing per-packet bizzare behavior

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Sep 15 16:13:24 EDT 2004

I hate this more than you do but we couldn't fix
this due to backwards compatability issues.

You can't change it until after dCEF is enabled
because we use the IPC communication to send
the commands to the VIP.

I always tell customers to do it this way to be
safe when making the transition from CEF to dCEF
on a 75xx.

a) Enable FIFO queueing on ALL interfaces (no fair-queue)
b) Enable dCEF (ip cef distributed)
c) To enable some form of fancy queueing either do:
   a) fair-queue under the interface to enable dWFQ
      'sh int' should show VIP-based WFQ
   b) apply a service-policy with a class-default doing
      'fair-queue'

   I like (b) because it gives you more flexibility down
   the road for CBWFQ if you want to do it.

Rodney