[c-nsp] Mixed PPPoA and RBE on 6400, with pvc ranges

James Hampton james.hampton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:01:16 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:07:55 -0600, Robert Tarrall
<tarrall at xxxx.neighborhoodlink.com> wrote:

> Here's the situation: we're a Qwest DSL host ISP moving from a
> multiple-T1 setup on a Cisco 3620 to one DS-3 on a 6400.  We have mostly
> PPPoA customers with a few bridged (RBE), one customer per PVC.
>
> On the 3620, I've got a single multipoint interface for each T1 that
> handles all the PPPoA customers; I have to manually list each PVC
> (annoying) although using class-int means they can at least pick up a
> default config.  Bridged customers each have their own point-to-point
> interface.
>
> On the 6400, I'd like to use pvc ranges ("range foo pvc 1/32 1/1032")
> to avoid manually listing each PVC under the multipoint interface.

We have a similar set up but we are mixing PPPoE and RBE, I chose to
individually list each pvc under the sub interface because with one
range every pvc gets the same ubr rate (class-vc) no matter what they
are previsioned for, I wanted 1.5 customers to have ubr 1536 and 768
customers to have ubr 768. I'm not entirely sure this has a big effect
(I'm sort of new to ATM) but it made since at the time.

> However, mixing in some bridged customers appears to break that trick.
> I don't think we can mix RBE and PPPoA in the same range - correct?

Yes, This is another reason why I didn't use a pcv range.

> Only alternative I can think of is to get Qwest to manually assign
> bridged customers to PVCs outside the range we use for PPPoA - maybe
> use a VPI of 1 for the PPPoA customers and a VPI of 2 for RBE folks.

This should work.
In my case we are using our own dslams so having non sequential
pvc-to-dslam port mappings would be messy.