[c-nsp] Mixed PPPoA and RBE on 6400, with pvc ranges

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Tue Sep 14 16:34:01 EDT 2004

[...moving from one DSL platform to another...]
> On the 6400, I'd like to use pvc ranges ("range foo pvc 1/32 1/1032")
> to avoid manually listing each PVC under the multipoint interface.
> However, mixing in some bridged customers appears to break that trick.
> I don't think we can mix RBE and PPPoA in the same range - correct?

You just have to break up the range -- ugly, but it works.  It may not
be the *best* example, but here's one with 2 holes in the 'range:'
   !
   interface ATM1/0.3 multipoint
    description DSL Qwest
    range qwestdsl3 pvc 1/510 1/605
     encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
    !
   !
   interface ATM1/0.4 multipoint
    description DSL Qwest
    range qwestdsl4 pvc 1/607 1/783
     encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
    !
   !
   interface ATM1/0.5 multipoint
    description DSL Qwest
    range qwestdsl5 pvc 1/785 1/1500
     encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
   !
   interface ATM1/0.606 point-to-point
    ip address <removed>
    ip verify unicast reverse-path
    pvc 1/606
     encapsulation aal5snap
    !
   !
   interface ATM1/0.784 point-to-point
    ip address <removed>
    pvc 1/784
     encapsulation aal5snap

> Only alternative I can think of is to get Qwest to manually assign
> bridged customers to PVCs outside the range we use for PPPoA - maybe
> use a VPI of 1 for the PPPoA customers and a VPI of 2 for RBE folks.

If you can get Qwest to do things like this, I wanna know who I should
be talking with...  They haven't ever been too interested in doing
things that don't fit into their cookie cutter mold.

	John