[c-nsp] Upgrading 7513 - WAS: Troubleshooting Lag between GigEinterfaces

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Sep 24 11:45:49 EDT 2004

Paul.

> When I try to enable dCef I get memory errors from slot 8 and 9 which
> are GEIP controllers.  Should I upgrade to GEIP+ ?  What's the
> difference between the plus and non-plus version?  Is there any memory
> upgrades that can be done to our existing GEIP (32 meg)?

GEIP is based on VIP2-50, GEIP+ on VIP4-80.. so the + is more
performant, has ECC memory, boils mainly down to the differences between
2-50 and 4-80.

> The RSP's are RSP4's .... should I look at moving up the CPU level
> somewhat (better safe than sorry)?

Only if you anticipate the 256MB DRAM is not enough.. ECC DRAM in RSP8
is also a +, but you will probably not need to worry about CPU speed..

> Finally, the VIP's are VIP2-50... this should probably be upgraded as
> well?

make sure you'll upgrade to 128 MB DRAM..

> Sorry for the generic questions but I'm trying to figure out if we're
> just going to gut the insides of the  7513 are we better to upgrade
> or look at a new router?

depends on the requirements and the budget.. If you were previously
RSP-switching, my guess is that dCEF will give you enough performance
gain for the short future..

	oli