[c-nsp] BGP-policy using communities

Carlos Fragoso Mariscal piltrafilla at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:18:08 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am trying to deploy BGP policy using communities in our AS. The main aim is:

1- Provide this service to customers in order that they could announce
their prefixes tagged in a way that would be announced to transit
providers and/or IXP peers, etc with corresponding prepends (1, 2 or
3)

Ex:
 AS:XXYYY
   where XX means
     10 don't send to
     20 send
     21 send with 1 prepend
     22 send with 2 prepends
     23 send with 3 prepends
   where YY means
     10 to all peers (transit, ixp peers, etc)
     11 to transit provider 1
     12 to transit provider 2
     etc
     20 to IXP peers

2- Tag prefixes announced by peers (tagged with their communities or
using a determined as-path) in a way that inside the AS prefixes from
transit provider 1,2,n and IXPs are tagged differently.

I have seen that many of the ISP's/Telcos provide this service. I have
been browsing websites in order to find a minimum example
configuration to provide this service on a backbone based on cisco
routers.

Can anyone provide me a URL or meaningful example configuration?

Thanks in advance! ;)