[c-nsp] Virtual servers, switches, possible problems

Jeroen Vos Jeroen.Vos at omroep.nl
Mon Sep 27 15:16:26 EDT 2004

Hello,

A customer of us, has a virtual server farm based on VMware ESX ( with
internal a virtual switch). Our network has multiple vlans per hosting
switch ( 6500 CatOS, MSFC, IOS). We have 3 Catalyst switches for
hosting, and each vlan has his own different identity.

What possible problems can we get, if the server fram is connected to
different switches and different vlans. And more importent what can we
do to prevent this kind of problems.

My main concern is that someone configure the virtual internal switch
the wrong way or one virtual server in two vlans, or ip forwarding
enabled etc, and hang the different hosting vlans.

Greetings,

Jeroen