[c-nsp] ipv6 tunnels and static routes

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Apr 1 04:38:24 EST 2005

On 2005-04-01, Pierfrancesco Caci <p.caci at seabone.net> wrote:

>> I have never used 6PE so I'm not really sure, but I guess it could be
>> connected with the source address selection of your second cisco. Cisco
>> chooses the IPv6 address of the egress interface as source address for
>> your trace and ping. If the egress interface has no IPv6 address it
>> might become confused and use something like mapped addresses and would
>> break.
> well it should use the loopback address if the egress interface
> doesn't have one, or not ?

I'm not sure about that, I guess it should.

> Anyway, I tried forcing the use of the loopback address and also the
> address of another interface. No change, it still doesn't go through.

If I read your previous mail correctly you have

CUST <Tunnel> RA <6PE/MPLS> RB

and try to trace from RB to CUST, you see RA but CUST no more, right?
Could you run a tcpdump or similar on the customer's box to see whether
the request or the reply is dropped?

Bernhard