[c-nsp] H.323 gatekeeper design

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Wed Apr 6 06:12:26 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am relatively new to H.323 gatekeepers, and I would like to validate my
design with people who know more.

I have the following network:

*	several (non-Cisco) H.323 gateways with PRI (TE) interfaces to the
PSTN
*	many (non-Cisco) H.323 gateways with BRI (NT) interfaces to
customers PBX

I would like to set-up two redundant Cisco IOS GKs, which would perform the
following tasks:

*	BRI/PRI GWs would register to a GK, so it would know who is out
there and who is not.
*	PRI gateways would interrogate GK to know what IP address terminates
incoming calls for that number range.
*	BRI gateways would interrogate GK to know what IP address has to be
used to terminate an outgoing call, either to another BRI GW, or to one of
the PRI GWs.
*	the GK would know the numbers of channels in use on each PRI GK, so
it would send the call to the best PRI GW, taking channel usage into account
but also (if possible) manually configured preferences.
*	the GK would offer outgoing call redundancy (if a PRI GW would go
down, the GK would forget about it and stop routing calls to it, until it
registers again)
*	numbering plan would be configured locally, instead of configuring
ranges on each GW. So my idea is that the GK would know who to send the call
to for certain destinations, but would take that route into account only if
the corresponding GW is registered. I am not sure this is the way it's
supposed to work, but I would prefer to make all the configs in the same
place and have very light CPE configs.

Is this a feasible design, or am I looking for flying pigs? Any pointers to
docs that detail such a config? I have only found examples where the number
ranges are specified on the CPEs, which is not quite what I would like.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent