[c-nsp] 7206 crash in iomem2

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Apr 6 13:08:00 EDT 2005

At 11:00 AM 4/6/2005, Steven Bertsch wrote:

>At 12:06 AM 4/6/2005, Vinny Abello wrote:
>>In researching a crash on a 7206VXR I have the following information:
>>
>>...which shows the address 0xE2B02E1 (or 0x0E2B02E1) is in the range
>>for iomem2 and appears to be a hardware problem. My question is, what
>>hardware is this memory contained in? Is this the I/O controller of
>>the router? Would the recommended action be to replace the I/O
>>controller? We've had reboots on this router before, but not in quite
>>some time. The previous ones seemed to be software bugs according to
>>TAC which went away up until now with IOS 12.2.27 mainline (what the
>>router is presently running when this crash occurred).
>
>Iomem is usually carved out of main memory which is
>located on the NPE/NSE, although the NPE-300 has
>a separate 32MB stick set aside for this IIRC.
>
>The only user-serviceable memory on the I/O controller would
>be the flash (and bootflash depending upon the I/O controller).
>

>Regards,
>Steven Bertsch, System Administrator    Infinity AccessNET
>sbertsch at iaxs.net                       Voice 952/944-7123 x161
>http://www.iaxs.net/                    Fax   952/944-0115
>Your Business Internet Service Provider

Yes, it appears that is the case. I have another NPE-300 (the one
that crashed is also an NPE-300) here in front of me with 256MB of
RAM, but it also has a 32MB DIMM in it as well. So I suppose it's
possible that this 32MB DIMM might need to be re-seated or replaced.
Does that sound accurate?

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain