[c-nsp] crypto performance for 831+836?

Kris S. Amundson krisa at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 8 20:13:40 EDT 2005

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to research the specified IPSEC/3DES throughput for the
> Cisco 831 routers.  CCO is not helpful - I found lots of interesting
> documents, but can't seem to come up with a search term that would
> just return "831: 1 Mbit/s. 3DES"...   (unlike searching for "AIM-VPN"
> which brings up a nice table).
>
> So... does one of you have a useful pointer for me?

I recently took two 1721's back to back and tested both 3DES and AES IPSEC.  I
was getting 1.5-2.0Mb/s using software encryption.  This was tested with two
linux boxes running iperf.  In some cases the AES seemed like it could push more
than 3DES.

If software IPSEC is a function of the router CPU you could compare the 1721 to
the 800 series.

--
Kris S. Amundson
Portland State University