[c-nsp] crypto performance for 831+836?

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Tue Apr 12 08:21:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:55:41PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> I'm trying to research the specified IPSEC/3DES throughput for the
> Cisco 831 routers.  CCO is not helpful - I found lots of interesting
> documents, but can't seem to come up with a search term that would
> just return "831: 1 Mbit/s. 3DES"...   (unlike searching for "AIM-VPN"
> which brings up a nice table).

Probably because the most relevant documents call the box 830 ;)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns171/netbr09186a00801f0a72.html

> (I know it's "a few mbits", but I'd rather have a specific number, in
> writing)

7Mbps 3DES which is 7 times the 1Mbps of the SOHO91 (called 90 here),
what means the hardware 3DES is not that bad. It is hardware 3DES only,
though, as 2Mbps for AES128 look way worse.

--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-