[c-nsp] 12.0S IPv6 support

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Mon Apr 11 18:48:50 EDT 2005

* gert at greenie.muc.de (Gert Doering) [Mon 11 Apr 2005, 23:54 CEST]:

> 12.0 - not at all
>
> 12.0S (which is very much different from 12.0) - only for GSR, not for
>        7200 or 7500
>
> Makes "find a common IOS version for a mixed GSR/7200/7500 backbone with
> IPv6" quite a challenge :-)

The top 3 Internet exchange points in Europe have started offering
aggregated links (Port-channel, 802.3ad) to connected ISPs; some
recently, some a bit longer.  People are finding it *very* hard to come
up with an image for GSR/PRP that doesn't blackhole traffic or crash the
whole router or similar badness.  That, and features such as IPv6 or
NetFlow seem fundamentally incompatible right now.

Now that aggregated GigE links are becoming more popular for edge
routers my hope is that Vendor C will improve support of those,
especially in platforms where it makes sense (e.g. 12K).

A few AMS-IX members lost their IPv6 capability in the past few months
because they were unwilling to be forced by their vendor of choice into
investing in a dedicated port at additional expense (hardware, cabling
and IXP port cost).

Regards,

	-- Niels.