[c-nsp] 3750 switch stack

Robert Hayden rhayden at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:04:19 EDT 2005

Make sure you set the switch priority when you configure up the stack.

We set up as follows:

Slot 1:  Priority 15
Slot 2:  Priority 14
Slot 3:  Priority 13
... etc

That way your stack will always come up in the order that you want.  If
slot 1 dies, slot 2 takes over as master.  Adding a new switch will fill
in the slot void with a priority of 1, you then reprioritize it back to
15 to make it the master again.

Note that when you reboot a stack, it will ALWAYS do a master election
while all the switches talk to each other to see who has the highest
priority, or if they are all the same, fall back to other election rules.

  - Robert