[c-nsp] Re: Trap Messages on a Cisco Router

Karim Mattar kmattar at cs.bu.edu
Tue Apr 12 13:58:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

Quick question. I'm trying to force a cisco router to generate a trap message
and send it back to a host where I am running snmptrapd and logging the
information in a file. I've enabled all the traps I could think of including the
config trap, which supposedly causes the router to spit out a trap message every
time something is re-configured. So naturally, I simply try to shutdown an
interface on the router. Theoretically, the router should send a trap message to
the host saying something about a re-configured interface. However, in my case,
nothing happens. I know there is a path from the router to the host and back
since I can traceroute/ping the router. Is there something else that needs to be
configured on the router or on the host?

Best,
Karim

--
Karim Mattar, Research Assistant