[c-nsp] ISDN Callback problem

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Thu Apr 14 11:16:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:36:15PM +0200, Sascha E. Pollok wrote:

> But: last week I had to explain LOTS(!) of dialout-connections on
> one of our phone bills and had some trouble finding a good reason
> for this. For whatever reason the router seems to be picking up
> the line sometimes leaving it open for 30-50 seconds.

You are absolutely sure the customer didn't connect some rogue
device to the same BRI and this one occasionally grabs your calls?

In the many incidents of that kind that we had in the many years
of using customer side CLID-Callback, this is by far the most typical
reason for something like that to happen. Even if you go all way up
and down explaining the customer that you must have a *dedicated* BRI,
and careful setup of answer MSNs on your side, customer will just add
a FritzCard to some PC and plug it into the same ISDN because "they
need that now", and off you go. Reason #2 is a broken PBX (and when
it comes to ISDN, essentially any PBX is broken). Hell, we even had
a case where the call to our router was trapped by the night service
setup of their PBX and rerouted to the security service desk as a voice
call (however they did that) when it came in after hours...

Cases in which the problem is indeed a router software issue are
rather seldom. When it happens, you're left sitting on the cost. In
any other case where the customer broke it, just plug it into their
with the night service, it still took them half a year to get it
fixed, but they minimized cost by instructing their watchmen to
not take up calls from a certain number and they were happy about
that as listening to LCP ConfReqs misinterpreted as G.711 was not
their main job description ;)

--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-