[c-nsp] OIR and the 7513

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu Apr 14 19:27:57 EDT 2005

> Also, the addition or removal of a VIP will cause a
> re-carve, so the box may be a bit unresponsive for
> about 30 seconds.  This is not surprising.

Just a "bit" unresponsive? I usually see the router essentially just
"stop" for 30-40 seconds and pass zero traffic, and drop all it's BGP
sessions too. And occasionally the online insertion will be followed by a
watchdog reload when something doesn't go right.

My recommendation: schedule a maintenance window, then use OIR. If it
works, you're fine, but if it doesn't you won't get yelled at (as much :-)
because you scheduled the downtime.

     -Bill