[c-nsp] 6509/Sup720/Hybrid/Native Question

SV sv at electrolyte.de
Mon Apr 18 09:27:56 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

i have setup and 2 6509/Sup720-3BXL/MSFC3 Switches and got quite shocked about
the following document which says that most of the features i needed are not
possible using the hybrid Software, ie. IPv6, AToM, MPLS, SLB, UBRL, EoMPLS,
MPLS VPN and Distributed Cisco Express Forwarding (dCEF).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml

Does that mean:

1) I cant use these features on this box running hybrid software ? Do i HAVE to run Native ?
or
2) I just cant configure it in the CatOS (which seems ok for me if i can configure
it on the MSFC3 and it get's "punched" down to Supervisor)

I dont like suprises... ie. feature MPLS works only in native mode, is this the case here ?

Atleast dCEF, MPLS and IPv6 is a must-have for me.

Btw. can you recommend a stable IOS Version for the MSFC3 with the above features (+ full BGP Table) ?
Latest is 12.2.17d-SXB7 on hybrid and 12.2.18-SXD4 on native.

What are your experiences with that plattform ? Good and bad ones please. I saw the EANTC 10Gig
Report and were quite impressed.

Cheers,
Tim