[c-nsp] 6509/Sup720 MPLS P limitations

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Tue Apr 19 09:53:19 EDT 2005

On (2005-04-19 14:05 +0100), christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> I don't know of any particular limitations, but my immediate thought is
> that a 6509 with a sup 720 is a powerful, smart box, with gigantic
> interface density. P routers are traditionally fast, big,
> redundantly-powered boxen with big backplanes, but not necessarily the
> smartest processor in the world, since they only have to deal with one
> routing table, and a bunch of WAN links.
>
> Obviously it's your box, and you'll cry if you want to - just sounds like a
> way better PE than  P to me..

 I'd want to turn this completely upside down. I'd see more need for what
cisco calls WAN interfaces (4GE OSM) in PE towards customers, rather than in
P. As PE is where, if anywhere you want hiearchial QoS with deep buffers. In
core I can see you only doing very simple QoS if any at all, so 'LAN'
interface would play that part just brilliantly.
 One thing to notice, VPLS requires OSM's.

--
  ++ytti