[c-nsp] Discussion with 6500/7600 Sup Modules

Ers eabacioglu at nyc.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 19:11:11 EDT 2005

I'd go with the 720's for two reasons:
1. Sub second failover with redundant sups
2. Integrated Switch Fabric Module

Here's a little from Cisco:

The original Sup1/1A support a connection to the 32-Gbps shared bus and
provide forwarding rates up to 15Mpps. Neither of these Supervisors supports
the Switch Fabric Module, meaning they have no connection into the Crossbar
Switch Fabric itself.

The Sup2/2U support a connection to the 32-Gbps shared bus and a single
8-Gbps connection into the Crossbar Switch Fabric. The Sup2/2U support
centralized forwarding rates up to 30Mpps and distributed forwarding rates
up to 210Mpps.

The Sup720, 720-3B and 720-3BXL, which integrates the 720-Gbps Crossbar
Switch Fabric onto the Supervisor module itself, supports a connection into
the 32-Gbps bus and a single 20-Gbps connection into the on-board Crossbar
Switch Fabric. All Supervisor 720 options supports centralized forwarding
rates up to 30Mpps and distributed forwarding rates up to 400Mpps.

Now all you have to do is choose between: Sup720, 720-3B and 720-3BXL