[c-nsp] netflow feature-acceleration and CSCsa81379

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 22 09:39:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

"curiosity kills the cat" (or so, but then, it has 9 lives...)

I just noticed that 12.2(25)S4 is out, and the ONLY change it has compared
to 12.2(25)S3 - at least per the release notes - is CSCsa81379:

  "NetFlow Feature Acceleration has been deprecated and removed from Cisco
   IOS. The global command ip flow-cache feature-accelerate will no longer
   be recognized in any IOS configuration. "

this is "interesting", to say the least - a 12.2S rebuild, only to
*remove* a feature that's obscure enough that nobody I know is using
it - well, that is, besides us.

We are using it, because it helped at some point in the past to make
"ip accounting" more robust against worm outbreaks.  Normal "ip accounting"
causes enormous CPU loads when there are "hard" portscans, bad enough that
BGP sessions break due to missed keepalives, etc. - and with netflow
feature-acceleration, we've never seen these problems again.  But maybe
the general "ip accounting" infrastructure was improved, to avoid having
to do process switching for table insertions... [1]

Anyone with some background information?

gert

[1] Yes, I *know* I should change over to netflow accounting.  Working
on it, but completely rebuilding an ISP accounting infrastructure without
breaking it (and losing money in the progress) is *tough*.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de