[c-nsp] 3550 QoS considerations

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Fri Apr 22 10:06:30 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have a somewhat unique situation.  Basically I have a host in Colo
connected to a 3550 that I would like to police at two different rates,
depending on the destination of the traffic.  This I can do. However, to
take it a step further, I would like to know if it is possible to take the
routes from my external peers, perhaps tag them with a community, and then
class-match the tagged routes based on that community, and police them at
the required rate.

The reason for this is, if AS A or B starts advertising new local routes,
I'd like to be able to dynamically match the packets instead of having to
statically update access-lists for the class-map on my 3550.

According to the documentation I have read, the 7200 platform supports the
bgp table mapping for precedence, but the problem is that the policing only
works with CAR.  Since CAR doesn't run on the 3550 I'm sort of at an impasse
as to how I can match any sort of dynamic list based on learned routes.

Any ideas appreciated,

Tim