[c-nsp] layer2 multicast issues

Christian Malo chris at fiberpimp.net
Mon Apr 25 18:22:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using a Terayon CherryPicker to broadcast tv channels over multicast.
Everything works fine at l3.

When I put a laptop on the same vlan as the sources, I get breakups and
traffic goes down to 2 megs/sec instead of 4.

I'm have a 6509 with catos 7.6.9 with igmp v3 snooping enabled.

The router managing the multicast traffic is a juniper with igmp v3 enabled.

Here's the setup:

Source gige [vlan 10] -> 6509 -> PC [vlan 10] = breakup

Source gige [vlan 10] -> 6509 -> PC [vlan 15] = works fine

Source gige [vlan 10] -> 6509 -> 3550 -> PC [vlan 10] breaks
                                         PC [vlan 15] breaks

Do you guys know a reason why a stream would have breakups when the src
and clients are in the same vlan (on the same 6509)?

I'm also having issues whenever I have to do l2 multicast over multiple
hops.

thanks in advance,

-chris