[c-nsp] Cat 6500 and counters

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 27 16:30:26 EDT 2005

Hi,

we'll be getting our first 6500/7600 "real soon now", and I'm wondering
whether to go for a Sup2/MSFC2 or for a Sup720*

This box will be running as peering router, and it will also have backhaul
lines to customers.  For the first job, it will need to handle a full BGP
table, for the second job it needs to do uRPF and it needs to have working
interface counters (for billing), and netflow (for billing and IDS).

Soooo...

 - if I understand this right, uRPF on the Sup2/MSFC2 will reduce the number
   of possible forwarding table entries to 128k, and otherwise, you'll get
   256k entries?

 - Sup 720 does 256k entries, with or without uRPF

 - Sup 720-3BXL does 1m entries

... seems to imply that we want a Sup 720-3BXL.

What about the interface counters?  Will the boxes count packets and
bytes on the hardware interface (FastEthernet X/Y) and on the SVIs
(Vlan XYZ) properly?  Or is it limited like the 3750G that will only
count packets sent or received from the router CPU, but no packets
forwarded in hardware (at least on the SVIs)?   What about subinterfaces
on OSM GE ports (in case I want some)?

Corrolary question: how do people handle the case "customer wants 3
ethernet ports in the same VLAN, and layer 3 routing out of it" with the
6500s?  Will the combination of "switchport" and "SVI" behave properly
for all counting purposes (as it does on the Cat5k and C5RSM)?

What about netflow?  Does it work on the Sup2/MSFC2 and/or the Sup720?
I saw one post claiming "v5 only", so IPv6 netflow isn't there?

(I'm not so much looking for Cisco glossary pages, more for people with
real-world experiences that value working counters...)

I've read up the Cisco-nsp archives, and while it answers the points
above (number of FIB entries and uRPF), I couldn't find anything about
the counters...

thanks!

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/