[c-nsp] Out of Order Packets

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 27 16:46:06 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:59:06PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> We are having a serious problem with some RAD gear that takes TDM voice and
> converts it to IP and then back to TDM.  The gear (which I don't look after or
> know much about) keeps complaining about "packets out of order"..... the
> connection is a pair of 6509's and a pair of 2924 switches in between them
> using a 100 Meg LAN extension (via local telco).

I bet the 100 Meg "LAN" is switched over something over something else
(like "Ethernet over MPLS") and there is load-sharing and packet reordering
going on in this "something else".

Show the result to your local telco, tell them "an ethernet link MUST NOT
reorder packets, so what you're selling is not an ethernet link, go and
fix it!".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de