[c-nsp] Re-thinking (remembering) how a switch operates

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Thu Apr 28 00:13:42 EDT 2005

I've seen this issue many times on 5500 and 6500 CatOS boxes. Two easy
solutions depending
upon the number of hosts involved:
  a) Force the syslog server to send a packet once every five minutes
(cronjob will do)
  b) Set the CAM timeout to 2x the ARP timeout. This forces the syslog
server to
    respond to ARP requests and refresh the CAM tables on all the switches.