[c-nsp] Re-thinking (remembering) how a switch operates

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Thu Apr 28 16:40:38 EDT 2005

Also, keep in mind that every time any port in the VLAN changes state, the
CAM table for that VLAN is cleared (well, technically it is all set to
expire in 6 seconds, which is almost the same) on every switch.  On a
reasonably large VLAN with someone rebooting a server here and there, you
can be wiping your CAM regularly.  For example, if I flap a link somewhere
on my network, I see a significant increase in traffic on all links for that
VLAN that then slowly dies down as the CAM table is populated again.

Enabling portfast on the host ports avoids this.  A link flap on a portfast
port will not cause a spanning-tree TCN, and not clear the CAM.