[c-nsp] Cat 6500 and counters

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 28 02:39:40 EDT 2005

Hi,

thanks to all that have responded so far.  Seems we'll go the Sup730-3B
road (and not XL, for now).

One question remains, though:

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:41:36PM -0700, Kevin Graham wrote:
[..]
> > What about netflow?  Does it work on the Sup2/MSFC2 and/or the Sup720?
> > I saw one post claiming "v5 only", so IPv6 netflow isn't there?
>
> Doubt v9 exports are there yet, but your biggest caveat will be that
> you'll have to do sampled netflow to avoid killing the Sup cpu. This
> is my single biggest gripe w/ the platform.

Can someone else confirm this, that "unsampled netflow" will be a
CPU problem?

For billing, we won't need netflow on most of the ports, but for some
parts of the network, we can't do without (yet), and sampled netflow is
BAD for that (if just because there have been some cases in court recently
where the court said "this is not science, this is just guesswork, it
cannot be accepted as a serious base for billing").

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de