[c-nsp] Cat 6500 and counters

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Apr 28 05:40:04 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:05:29PM -0700, Tim Stevenson wrote:
>> There is no IPv6 NF support, it is on the roadmap. It requires NFv9, which
>> is not supported today. Both sup2 & sup720 support v5 NF for IPv4 unicast.
>
> Thanks for this clarification.  Can you give a (rough) timeline for NFv9?
>
> We're providing "production" IPv6 services today, and one of our problems
> is that we already see IPv6 DoS attachs - and without NFv9, it's very
> difficult to quickly detect and trace them.

Rough I have heard timelime: Q4 2005 (in Cisco Calendar year) - means
April 2006...

>> But as mentioned elsewhere, the most bang for the buck is no doubt sup720
>> w/PFC3B, vs. sup2.
>
> I'm a bit confused about this "PFC3B" and "DFC" business.
>
> We have a number of existing cat6k line cards around (running right now
> in a cat6k with Sup1A, and no MSFC), things like WS-X6408A-GBIC and
> WS-X6348-RJ-45.
>
> Basically we want to re-use them, with the Sup720, to provide L3 routing
> on the box now.  Am I correct in assuming that they will "just work", but
> not have any distributed forwarding (that's what the DFC3 is needed for)?

The Sup720 on cat6k it just work, but be careful: you might need FAN2 type
of FAN and bigger power supply because of bigger dissipation of SUP720.

About DFC you are correct. If you don't have DFC3 - it will be centrally
forwarded by SUP720.

> What does the PFC* do, and does it has to match certain hardware levels /
> feature card levels on the line cards?

With SUP720 you will get the switching fabric and routing engine together
(PFC). The PFC is basically responsible for the control plane (Routing
processes etc.) There are 3 different SUP720:
SUP720A (with PFC3A)
SUP720B (with PFC3B - with MPLS support)
SUP720BXL (with PFC3BXL - like with PFC3B but more CAM memory to able
accomodate more than one routing table....)

Regards,
 	Janos Mohacsi