[c-nsp] Cat 6500 and counters

Andrey Zimin horgi at mtu.ru
Thu Apr 28 05:53:52 EDT 2005

> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:41:36PM -0700, Kevin Graham wrote:
> > [..]
> and/or the Sup720?
> > >
> > > Doubt v9 exports are there yet, but your biggest caveat
> will be that
> > > you'll have to do sampled netflow to avoid killing the
> Sup cpu. This
> > > is my single biggest gripe w/ the platform.
> >
> > Can someone else confirm this, that "unsampled netflow" will be a
> > CPU problem?
>
> No, netflow does not have any impact on CPU at all - netflow
> statistics
> collected at "hardware" level.
>
> > For billing, we won't need netflow on most of the ports,
> but for some
> > parts of the network, we can't do without (yet), and
> sampled netflow is
> > BAD for that (if just because there have been some cases in
> court recently
> > where the court said "this is not science, this is just
> guesswork, it
> > cannot be accepted as a serious base for billing").
>
> Please note that c65 limited on number of active of netflow entries.
> For sup720-3bxl/sup720-3b this number is relatively high one
> (~230K entries),
> but this limit exists...
In real life you more hit aging limit(30-40 flow/s) and with this:

> PS: one more limitation - you will not be able to limit router to
> collect netflow data on just some interfaces - it will collect
> data on all interfaces.
You can't collect full NF data more than 1-2Gbit/s Internet traffic crossing
Sup720-3bxl box, and more 5Gbit/s with src-dst-if aggregations.
It depends of enviroment, but realy far from expected on router with 10GE interfaces.

So, pay you exclusive attention on NF functions on 6K platform, if u have plan to use it.
It totally different than u can see on other router platforms.

Do the tests in real enviroments, if that possible.

Just my 2c.

WBR,