[c-nsp] Cat 6500 and counters

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Thu Apr 28 06:26:52 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:53:52PM +0400, Andrey Zimin wrote:
[...]
> > > For billing, we won't need netflow on most of the ports,
> > but for some
> > > parts of the network, we can't do without (yet), and
> > sampled netflow is
> > > BAD for that (if just because there have been some cases in
> > court recently
> > > where the court said "this is not science, this is just
> > guesswork, it
> > > cannot be accepted as a serious base for billing").
> >
> > Please note that c65 limited on number of active of netflow entries.
> > For sup720-3bxl/sup720-3b this number is relatively high one
> > (~230K entries),
> > but this limit exists...
> In real life you more hit aging limit(30-40 flow/s) and with this:

hmmm... Looks like this limitation is sup720-specific.

At least in my real life (using old sup2/msfc2) i'm getting about 200 flow
packets/sec (5000 flow records/sec) right now. Under SQL Slammer worm i
even saw about 2000 flow packets/sec (50kflows/sec).

Anyway, thanks for information on this issue.