[c-nsp] FE experienceing errors and CRCs

Corneliu Tanasa ctanasa at i-net.ro
Thu Apr 28 16:36:54 EDT 2005

I have a similar issue with PA-FE-TX (on 7505 this time) connected to a
2924.  After forcing both interfaces to 100+FD, then the PA-FE-TX is
counting Input errors.  Still I haven't noticed yet any packet loss.

223543 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 223099 ignored

Corneliu

>     In case of multivendor integration as I have seen , seeting the
> speed does make a lot of difference, just to share a bit, try
> connecting Avaya Gear with Nortel Boxes with 100 Mbps FD explicity and
> you will see drops and crc, change it to auto and its resolved.
>
>      Since yours is Cisco Gear this should not be the case, but
> usually the first place to start troubleshooting  will be changing the
> cable and setting both to 100 Mbps FD.

I have seen this with Cisco-Cisco links. We had an uplink some time ago
that was from a PA-FE-TX on a Cisco 7507 going into a VLAN on a 2924
switch. The link was set to "auto" on both ends, and showed maybe 30%
packet loss due to all kinds of errors. After setting BOTH ENDS of the
link to force 100 Mb/s and full duplex all the problems went away.

It took us a while to figure out what was going on since no one expected
auto negotiation problems between two pieces of gear from the same
manufacturer (Cisco, in this case). We no force switch ports to the
parameters we need on all "important" links (usually to other routers or
switches, but occasionally for servers too).

     -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator