[c-nsp] 802.1q VLANs > 1000 on Cat 5500

Rick Ernst ernst at easystreet.com
Wed Aug 3 19:35:40 EDT 2005

I am running VLAN transparent. It's almost looking like the entire 5500 is
ISL.  I came across something on Google where it says that earlier IOS and
devices are actually doing ISL under-the-hood for the dot1q implementation.
"earlier" is not defined, but it's looking like 12.2 or 12.3 is the
earliest image that has support for the full range.  I don't know if CatOS
supports it directly, since the 5500 has been EOLd.

I did find the "set vlan map", but the limit is 7 VLANs which makes it
effectively useless.  I was thinking about back-hauling the VLANs to a
7500, but that's where I ran into the same 1-1000 VLAN ID limit.

I would hate to do a forklift upgrade because the actual amount of traffic
that will be passing is well within the 5500 and RSM limitations, but the
VLANs are causing a real headache.

I'm also looking for a relatively inexpensive device that will do VLAN
translations and just insert it inline, but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!