[c-nsp] 802.1q VLANs > 1000 on Cat 5500

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Aug 3 23:46:42 EDT 2005

Sorry, I was not trying to imply that cat5k supports the 4k VLAN range; it
does not. I was just replying to clarify that it is both hardware and
software that dictates whether you get dot1q trunk encapsulation at all or not.

Not sure how many external >1K vlans you need to deal with; 5k does support
a small (7 entries, global) translation table you can use to map dot1q
vlans to the 1-1000 range. Any frame received on a dot1q trunk with the
specified 1q vlan tag is translated to the specified "isl" vlan; on
transmit, the opposite occurs.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_6_3/config/vlans.htm#1020383

Tim

At 05:49 PM 8/3/2005, Rick Ernst quipped: