[c-nsp] Policy based routing and redndancy

Ashe Canvar acanvar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:02:13 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I currently use policy based routing to set the next hop for traffic
originating from certain subnets. This works great until the next hop
fails or goes down.

What are some of the stratergies I might employ to create a "standby"
next hop that takes over if the primary one fails (I have 3 ISPs
connected to the same 6509) ?

I have tried the inteface tracking stuff, but what happens if the BGP
sessions fails even though the link is UP ?

Things are further complicated by the fact that other routers in my AS
point to this final router as their next hop (which PBR's it to the
ISP). I would not even like to get the traffic to the 6509 if its next
hop has failed but PBR it out of some prior router. I am sure there is
some mix of PBR and a routing protocol that can accomplish this.

Thanks much,
-ashe