[c-nsp] PPPoe Access Concetrators

Charles Hardin chardin at centurytel.net
Thu Aug 11 11:56:35 EDT 2005

Hey,

I can honestly say that 10k is a real number on the Redback 1800. Don't
know if we were just lucky or what. hehehe

As for the 16k sessions of the 7206 NPE G1, I don't think by running a
combo of PPPoX and an internal routing protocol, OSPF for instance, that it
will reach that number before you will run out of CPU. Maybe when the G2
comes out and they off load some of the routing processes to the 2nd CPU, I
don't know. However, we are currently running 7k plus sub sessions on
several G1's though with the CPU currently running about 40'ish %. Not bad
thus far! I think we could get that number up a bit more but we've capped
the G1's to 8k sessions to give ourselves plenty of wiggle room if needed.

If you're looking to strictly off load PPPoE sessions from the 7200's, you
may try the Fine Point Networks ServPoET solution. They have some products
now that they are claiming will do the trick. They really want us to take a
look at the product but we haven't had time lately to eval much of anything
new. Here's a link:
http://www.finepointnetworks.com/products/servpoet/index.html

Thanks
Charles