[c-nsp] IOS on 1811/1841

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Mon Aug 15 13:41:50 EDT 2005

OK ... to follow up on this question ....

We're probably going to recommend an 1811 to our customer. They'll have (2)
FE uplinks to us -- one supporting 4Mbps and another supporting 1Mbps. The
optimal configuration for this customer would be to run eBGP with us (we
would send them default routes only). We had been planning to make the 1Mbps
a backup link only, but it looks like OER might enable us to load balance
across the diverse links.

The customer is planning to terminate a number of Internet VPN connections
on this router as well as use it as their Internet-edge NAT firewall.

I'm wondering if this is just too much to ask of an 1800-series router. It's
definitely in the price-range for the customer.

Anyone have real-world experience? Short of setting up a lab I'm not sure
how to gauge whether heaping on these services will overload the unit.

Thanks,
Adam