[c-nsp] Odd thing to want to do on a Cat 3550

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Tue Aug 16 10:22:28 EDT 2005

OK. this might sound odd, but I've got my reasons.

Switch is a 3550 in a mixed port environment - some layer 3 ports and some
layer 2 ports.

Essentially as a brief explanation - we have a 3550-48 with obviously, 48
ports.  Rather than buying another switch for this particular purpose, I've
VLAN'd off 8 ports which are in switching mode.

The tricky thing I want to do is have the Layer 3 part of the switch - say..
The main VLAN - have a presence in the layer 2 segmented VLAN.

I hope I am explaining this correctly. I know it sounds a little odd.

The way for me to currently do it is have a crossover cable running from a
Layer 3 port into a layer 2 port inside the VLAN (which has other devices it
can now talk to).  This method works fine, but is essentially wasting 2
ports if I can somehow do it internally.

I hope someone can help with this odd request.

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE     Email: skeeve at skeeve.org
Website: www.skeeve.org  - Telephone: (0414) 753 383
Address: P.O Box 1035, Epping, NSW, 1710, Australia

eIntellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net