[c-nsp] 12.2SXF?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Aug 16 20:08:18 EDT 2005

At 04:33 PM 8/16/2005, lists at hojmark.org vociferated:
> > SX[A,B,D-F] are new feature releases. A rebuild w/only bug
> > fixes on one of these is followed by another numeral, ie, SXD4
> > is the 4th rebuild of SXD.
>
>Well, I have to admit I knew that... (But Rodney said more or
>less the exact opposite -- that SEC is just a rebuild of SE).

For 6500, it is never true. I don't claim to know the heritage of the other
cat platforms' IOS.

>What I do find somewhat confusing is how you end up with those
>maintenance numbers, such as "17d" in 12.2(17d)SXB6 or "18" for
>SXD and SXE. Does that mean that both SXD and SXE are based on
>12.2(18)S?

Yes, it is based on parentage. And also, 12.2S gets *its* numbers from 12.2
mainline parentage IIRC. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it is a bit
hard to encode the entire parentage of a release in the release name today.

>In that case, why isn't SXE based on 12.2(20)S, or 22S, which
>have been released in the meantime? (They should have more bug
>fixes).

Yes, but they also have lots of new features as well, so a call is made
based on features needed/desired on the platform, time to market for a
given release (as a vehicle for a new platform feature), and the stability
impact of introducing a bunch of new platform independent features into the
platform code.

Eventually you'll see us getting code from later 12.2S releases on the 6500.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759