[c-nsp] SUP1A MSFC2 boot issues

Alexander C. Fossa alex at xifos.net
Wed Aug 17 05:07:39 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am having issues getting the MSFC2 engine to boot. I think it might be
something to do with the fact that the SUP1A MSFC2 PFC came from a 6509
and I am putting it in a 6503. I have read a lot about incomparability
issues when moving the Supervisors between different chassis, ie 6509 >
6503. However this might not be entirely the issue.

In the MSFC2 rommon:

rommon 15 > reset

System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)E2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Warning: Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted. Initialize the area to default
values

environment checksum in NVRAM failed

environment checksum in NVRAM failed

Cat6k-MSFC2 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

Even if I try and do something simple such as 'sync' it throws up this
error:

rommon 1 > sync

environment checksum in NVRAM failed

rommon 2 >