[c-nsp] trunk is down, but int vlan stays up

Ziti Bake zitibake at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 09:54:22 EDT 2005

I have a 6509/720 which is connected via trunk to
metro ethernet provider (and thence to several
end-offices).  I route each end-office at layer 3
using one "int vlanXXX" for each office.  I've found
that even if I unplug my trunk to the MAN, my "int
vlanXXX" interfaces stay up.

There are no access ports using these vlans, and all
trunk ports have vlans explicitly listed with "allowed
vlan".  The only trunk allowing the metro ethernet
VLAN range is the trunk to the MAN itself.

I had expected, that if the only L2 port for a vlan
went down, then my L3 vlan interface would drop also.

Is there a good way to have a L3 interface track the
state of an L2 trunk?