[c-nsp] bgp & static default route?

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Fri Aug 26 00:24:22 EDT 2005

Static default to a border router that is in an unknown operational
state is a recipe for disaster.  Sure, working with defaults simplifies
things and is a damn good idea for a network your size.  But you don't
have to generate the default yourself.  Get your 3 upstreams to send
you a default and a limited set of prefixes (like their customers and
peers).  That'll keep the size of your routing table under control and
also provide you with defaults.  If the upstream goes away so does the
default to them (leaving you with 2 other defaults).

If you default to a border with a dead upstream you run a very high
chance of black-holing all your traffic on that router.  That's not
going to win you any friends from your customer base.

David